Tuesday 14 May 2024

jEveAssets and swing trading

In an effort to improve the way I do things I've been investigating tooling. One tool that I've always been aware of but never used for reasons I'm unsure of is jEveAssets. It is a desktop application written in Java that pulls your characters info and provides a whole bunch of information on market prices over time, your assets etc. I wrote  a post about a month ago where I was talking about a tool that would collect my info and essentially fill in my spreadsheet for me. Well jEveAssets has a tab that essentially does just that:


The numbers here include stations and assets that I do not include in my spreadsheet, such as transport ships I used to haul my goods in and assets in stations that I do not use in trading (mission running/mining ships, rewards from career agents, stuff like that). These numbers also do not include the 20% provision I take against sell orders to account for potentially having to drop my sell order prices in order to make a sale. So even though this screen says I'm almost a trillionaire according to my accounting I'm 140Bn away.

There is also a tracker screen, which I've filtered by system:


With so few data points it is difficult to see much here, but over time this should provide a nice graph of my assets. I wish I'd started using this sooner.

As this has a lot of the functionality that I was looking for, and it is written in Java, I think it makes sense for me to fork this repo and make any changes to it myself rather than re-inventing the wheel. So I'll probably do that going forwards. I am really impressed with this though.

Swing Trading

I've been thinking about how to scale my trading with ISK rather than with time as my value increases. Up until now my profits have largely been driven by how many items I am able to buy in Jita and sell in other hubs. This is fine, and generates a reliable 1Bn or more a day, but I feel like I'm plateauing a bit. I'm not fully utilising all of my trade hubs again yet, largely relying on the big ones of Amarr, Dodixie, Rens and Hek. But adding more will really only scale linearly with the number of clicks I make, and will contribute to burnout which I am desperate to avoid. 

I have been consuming quite a bit of EVE trade media recently, in particular Oz_Eve's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@OZeve He has a lot of really useful insights on a range of trade topics, but he primarily does what he calls Swing Trading himself. This is where you buy items and wait for the price to swing upwards significantly before selling, rather than flipping instantly to get the margin to the current sell orders as profit. 

I have dabbled in this a little over the years. I have this listed on my spreadsheet under "investments". Which is essentially the same thing. However I am now putting a bit more thought and effort into this in the hope that this can drive greater profits going forwards for a not so massive time investment.

In terms of this I have every now and again invested in PLEX, on the general rule that "PLEX price always goes up long term" and before I took my break I also bought some battleships, freighters, jump freighters and capitals as there was a rework coming that should have pushed the price of those up significantly. For the capitals it did, but my other ships were approximately the same price as when I left. I could have held onto these in the hopes that prices will one day rise, but given that CCP have recently said they think battleships are too expensive and the industry changes coming in the next expansion I've decided to sell off as much of these as possible. I've liquidated most of the ships, but I still have a few to go.

On the flip side of that I caught in one of Oz's videos that Hypercores were still very depressed price wise from a sale a while ago. Sure enough when I checked they had a historic price of about 500,000ISK and were currently sitting at  about 310,000. I bought up 200,000 and the price has since started to rise again. At the time of writing sell orders in Jita are at 355,000, down a bit from about 385,000 at the weekend. If they return to their historic value I stand to profit by almost 40Bn, but I will probably sell slightly below that in order to bank the profit and reinvest it elsewhere.




I am going to look for more of these opportunities to subsidise my day to day activities, but I am excited at the potential to really scale my profits with ISK invested rather than simple with the number of orders I have outstanding

 

No comments:

Post a Comment