Friday 6 September 2024

Industry Challenge

 So, having made 1 Trillion ISK primarily through trading, I want to try something different. For some time now I've wanted to get into Industry more seriously, but half heartedly doing the odd production run on a single character simply doesn't compare to the ISK I was making with my trade characters. 

However, I am intrigued as to the ISK that can be made if I really commit to it and look to scale it, as well as expanding to other areas beyond t1 manufacturing. To that end I am going to start a whole new challenge. New characters, new accounts, no financial help from my trading accounts. The one exception to this is I will buy PLEX on my trading accounts to PLEX my Industry accounts, at least initially. I fear going 0 to PLEX using industry would be extremely limiting and time consuming, so I want to replicate what I initially did with my trading which was paying my subs with real money.

I want to focus on industry, so making money using:

  • Manufacturing (t1 and t2)
  • Blueprint research
  • Blueprint copying
  • Invention
  • Mining (to a limited extent)
  • Reactions
  • Career missions to get a starting fund an some basic station standings

And that's about it. What I will not be doing is trying to replicate my trading. I also want to have certain milestones to hit to keep me on track and mark some progression. These are:
  • Invent a t2 item
  • sell a blueprint copy
  • sell a researched blueprint original
  • Build my own Upwell structure
  • Complete some reactions
  • Build a capital
  • Build a Super
  • Build a Titan
  • Earn 1 Trillion

These are lofty goals, and primarily must be completed outside of highsec. Building Supers/Titans will also require being in a gated corp in Horde, as they don't let just anyone build supers (understandably). I've gone back and forth a lot on where to base myself, high or null. I think I'm going to settle on both. I'm going to have at least 1 character in high to take advantage of Jita and the blueprint market there, and most of my characters out in null to take advantage of the access to reactions, null bonuses and ores.

Also, I will be tagging all posts relating to this challenge with "Industry Challenge" and all my end of month trade updates with "Trading Challenge" so if you only want to see one or the other you can select the label on the right hand side of the blog.

With that said, off to create a new account!

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it. I'll say this as someone who dabbled in T2 industry (just in hisec in my own Raitaru, nothing fancy) - you can't beat the margins and volume for rigs. Small hyperspatials, polycarbons, armor and shield rigs, as well as a couple randoms like the cargohold optimizations. They sell like hotcakes at huge margins, and you can drop a stack of a couple hundred in Jita on Friday and guarantee they'll be gone by Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll bear that in mind. I'm going to be starting small but I'll definitely look at Rigs once I get a bit of capital under my belt

      Delete
  2. will be really interested to see how you do. I want to get back into manufacturing also but i first need to work out how to scale it. I was thinking about incorporating it back into my trading business - i.. instead of buying items from Sell Orders in Jita i would manufacture them at closer to the Buy price and so earn a higher margin overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I've thought about doing that, but every time I try and incorporate manufacturing into my trading I get a bit jaded as the ISK/effort is just so far off traders on my single character. So I think I need something like this to really give me the focus and effort to try and scale this and see what works. Later on I could try and combine it all into one big venture, but I'm going to keep them separate for now!

      Interesting that you've found an expensive, slow moving niche in building as well, you clearly have a better eye for that than me!

      Delete